Md. Historical Society Photographs

Starting in circa 1850, the Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) photographic collection contains well over one million items including daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, cartes-de-visite, albumen prints, salted paper prints, acetate negatives, and more. Photographs are part of MdHS's Special Collections Department, H. Furlong Baldwin Library.

Digital reproductions of originals are property of MdHS. For image reproduction and permission info: MdHS Imaging Services.

Feel free to share these images with proper citation.

jferretti@mdhs.org

Curated by Jennifer A. Ferretti (former Curator of Photographs, MdHS). I am not an MdHS employee and in no way represent the institution. All views are my own.

@CityThatReads

Est. 2011. Please #CiteYourSources!

Named Best Tumblr Feed in Baltimore Magazine 2011!

Rated #5 in Baltimore City Paper's The Year in Intertubes (2011)!

Fishing for gudgeons
Patapsco River, Maryland
1929
A. Aubrey Bodine
4x5 inch glass negative
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC8254 B, D, Q, R

April 21, 2014 at 2:24pm

38 notes
Nan Cotrella Coiffeurs in Canton a few days before EasterCanton, Baltimore, MarylandApril 1977Jean C. Netherwood8x10 inch printThe East Baltimore Documentary Photograph ProjectBaltimore City Life Museum CollectionMaryland Historical Society1982.19.1.92
More on the East Baltimore Documentary Photograph Project.
Copyright Jean C. Netherwood, 1977.

Nan Cotrella Coiffeurs in Canton a few days before Easter
Canton, Baltimore, Maryland
April 1977
Jean C. Netherwood
8x10 inch print
The East Baltimore Documentary Photograph Project
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
1982.19.1.92

More on the East Baltimore Documentary Photograph Project.

Copyright Jean C. Netherwood, 1977.

April 17, 2014 at 3:35pm

89 notes

Hendler’s Ice Cream Truck
1923
Leopold, Hughes Company
PP30 394-51G

Moses Advertising, Hendler’s billboard
400 block, Paca Street, Baltimore, Maryland
circa 1955
Hughes Company
PP30 225F-55

Hendler’s Ice Cream Truck (Buy War Bonds)
Undated
Hughes Company
PP30 271-43

Hendler’s Ice Cream Truck
Undated
Hughes Company
PP30 394-51H

All photographs are 8x10 inch acetate negative, Hughes Company Collection, Maryland Historical Society.

In 1912 Hendler’s built a state-of-the-art ice cream factory on East Baltimore Street. Hendler’s Ice Cream sold from 1905 through the late 1960s.

Learn more about Hendler’s and another big name in ice cream, Jacob Fussell, via Baltimore City Paper.

April 16, 2014 at 2:21pm

44 notes
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Office, Battle Monument, Courthouse under constructionSouthwest corner of Calvert Street and Fayette Street, Baltimore, Marylandcirca 1895Hughes Company (Worthington)6 1/2 x 8 inch glass negativeBaltimore City Life Museum CollectionMC6637The area today via Google Maps Street View:
View Larger Map

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Office, Battle Monument, Courthouse under construction
Southwest corner of Calvert Street and Fayette Street, Baltimore, Maryland
circa 1895
Hughes Company (Worthington)
6 1/2 x 8 inch glass negative
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
MC6637
The area today via Google Maps Street View:


View Larger Map

April 15, 2014 at 2:55pm

107 notes

Lord Baltimore Hotel under construction
20 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Maryland
Undated [circa 1928]
A. Aubrey Bodine
4x5 inch glass negative
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC8263 A - MC8263 F

Lord Baltimore Hotel was built in 1928 and is the work of architect William Lee Stoddart.

The hotel today via Google Maps Street View:


View Larger Map

April 14, 2014 at 2:06pm

22 notes
"Poly boys at rally, ‘Give ‘em the ax’"200 East North Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland1951Robert F. Kniesche (1906-1976)4x5 inch acetate negativeKniesche CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyPP79.576
Baltimore Polytechnic Institute was located at 200 East North Avenue until 1967 when it moved to Cold Spring Lane. The building is currently utilized by the administration of Baltimore City Public Schools.
The building today via Google Maps Street View:
View Larger Map

"Poly boys at rally, ‘Give ‘em the ax’"
200 East North Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland
1951
Robert F. Kniesche (1906-1976)
4x5 inch acetate negative
Kniesche Collection
Maryland Historical Society
PP79.576

Baltimore Polytechnic Institute was located at 200 East North Avenue until 1967 when it moved to Cold Spring Lane. The building is currently utilized by the administration of Baltimore City Public Schools.

The building today via Google Maps Street View:


View Larger Map

April 10, 2014 at 3:27pm

85 notes

Fair of the Iron Horse
Halethorpe, Maryland
1927
Unidentified photographer
4x5 inch glass negative
A. Aubrey Bodine donation
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC8240 A - MC8240 G

The Fair of the Iron Horse (September 24 - October 8, 1927) was a centenary exhibition and pageant celebrating the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, which began in 1827. The B&O transported passengers from the Mount Clare, Mount Royal, and Camden stations in Baltimore to destinations in New York, Washington, D.C., Cumberland, Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, and points in between.

April 9, 2014 at 2:05pm

48 notes

Marian Anderson and unidentified woman
circa 1954
Paul S. Henderson (1899-1988)
4x5 inch acetate negative
Paul Henderson Photograph Collection
Maryland Historical Society
HEN.00.A2-268
HEN.00.A2-257

Today in 1939 Marian Anderson performed on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. Originally she was to perform at Howard University. After realizing that the crowd would be too large, they turned to the Daughters of the American Revolution and requested that she sing at Constitution Hall. They declined, stating their racially segregated “white-only” performer policy. Seventy-five thousand people were in attendance for Anderson’s performance at the memorial.

Take a look at the National Archives Today’s Document tumblr for more about Anderson, including an audio clip of her performance and the letter from Eleanor Roosevelt to the Daughters of the American Revolution resigning in protest of their decision not to let Anderson perform at Constitution Hall.

Unfortunately, as is the case with many of Henderson’s photos, there is no further information associated with the images of Anderson and an unidentified woman.

April 8, 2014 at 2:22pm

66 notes

Packard bus outside Women’s College of Baltimore City [Goucher College]
2220 St. Paul Street, Baltimore, Maryland
circa 1910
Jeffres, Baltimore
9 1/4 x 7 3/4 inch mounted prints
Subject Vertical File (Buses)
Maryland Historical Society
[SVF]

Goucher College was originally called Women’s College of Baltimore City and was located on St. Paul Street in Baltimore. It moved to its current location in Towson, Maryland in 1953. The building depicted is currently home to the Baltimore Lab School.

Location today via Google Maps Street View:


View Larger Map

April 7, 2014 at 3:18pm

116 notes

"The Baltimore produce market"
[Harbor area] Baltimore, Maryland
Undated (circa 1900-1930)
Unidentified photographer
4x5 inch glass negative
A. Aubrey Bodine donation
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC8265 A
MC8265 B
MC8265 C
MC8265 D

April 4, 2014 at 3:00pm

77 notes

"Negro Life in Maryland" [Unidentified African American family outside cabin]
Eastern Shore, Maryland
circa 1890-1900
Unidentified photographer
Eastern Shore Photo Album Collection
Maryland Historical Society
PP83 I.18.2 (Album 2)

The Eastern Shore Photo Album Collection contains two albums of photographs depicting the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. There is no indication of who took the photos and for what purpose.

The original image (top) is severely yellow. The detail image is edited: yellow has been reduced by adding cyan and the levels were adjusted to brighten the image.

April 3, 2014 at 3:02pm

82 notes
"Neighbors often visit on their front steps - an extension of their living rooms. This entire block of E. Baltimore St. is being renovated through private enterprise. Sept. 1978."Butchers Hill, Baltimore, MarylandSeptember 1978Jean C. Netherwood8x10 inch photographic printThe East Baltimore Documentary Photography ProjectBaltimore City Life Museum CollectionMaryland Historical Society1982.19.1.192
Copyright Jean C. Netherwood, 1978.
More on The East Baltimore Documentary Photography Project.
Butchers Hill via Google Maps Street View:
View Larger Map

"Neighbors often visit on their front steps - an extension of their living rooms. This entire block of E. Baltimore St. is being renovated through private enterprise. Sept. 1978."
Butchers Hill, Baltimore, Maryland
September 1978
Jean C. Netherwood
8x10 inch photographic print
The East Baltimore Documentary Photography Project
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
1982.19.1.192

Copyright Jean C. Netherwood, 1978.

More on The East Baltimore Documentary Photography Project.

Butchers Hill via Google Maps Street View:


View Larger Map

April 2, 2014 at 1:52pm

68 notes

Sagamore Farm, Vanderbilt estate
Belmont Avenue, Glyndon, Maryland
1966
A. Aubrey Bodine (1906-1970)
Bodine Collection
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
B1261 .1 - B1261 .3
B1658 .1

Sagamore Farm, located in Baltimore County, was founded in 1925 by Isaac Emerson, inventor of Bromo-Seltzer. Emerson’s daughter Margaret bequeathed the farm to her son Alfred G. Vanderbilt in 1933. Under Vanderbilt, Sagamore Farm became a premiere horse training and breeding facility. Alfred was a member of the wealthy New York Vanderbilt family and later became owner of Baltimore’s Pimlico Race Course.

The farm was sold to James Ward in 1986 and in 2007, Under Armour founder and CEO Kevin Plank purchased the farm with a long-term plan of restoration. According to the recent article in The New Yorker, Plank will also launch a new line of old-fashioned Maryland whiskey, and Sagamore will be its home base ("Skin in the Game" by Sanneh, March 24, 2014).

Read more about the farm on the Sagamore Racing site.

Sagamore Farm via Google Maps:


View Larger Map

April 1, 2014 at 4:00pm

82 notes
Reblogged from mdhsphotographs
Another view of the Wiessner Brewery/American Brewery building. See the photo posted today of the same building.
mdhsphotographs:

J. F. Wiessner & Sons Brewery 1700 North Gay Street, Baltimore, Marylandcirca 1915Hughes Company8x10 inch glass negativeBaltimore City Life Museum CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyMC7104
The building today via Google Maps Street View:
View Larger Map

Another view of the Wiessner Brewery/American Brewery building. See the photo posted today of the same building.

mdhsphotographs:

J. F. Wiessner & Sons Brewery 
1700 North Gay Street, Baltimore, Maryland
circa 1915
Hughes Company
8x10 inch glass negative
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC7104

The building today via Google Maps Street View:


View Larger Map

3:01pm

86 notes
"American Brewery scene" (1701 North Gay Street, Baltimore)Broadway East neighborhood, Baltimore, MarylandUndated (circa 1940-1970)Robert F. Kniesche (1906-1976)4x5 inch acetate negativeKniesche CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyPP79.503.2Learn about the American Brewery (previously J.F. Wiessner and Sons Brewery) building (now home to Humanim) on the Maryland Historical Trust site.
The building today via Google Maps Street View:
View Larger Map

"American Brewery scene" (1701 North Gay Street, Baltimore)
Broadway East neighborhood, Baltimore, Maryland
Undated (circa 1940-1970)
Robert F. Kniesche (1906-1976)
4x5 inch acetate negative
Kniesche Collection
Maryland Historical Society
PP79.503.2

Learn about the American Brewery (previously J.F. Wiessner and Sons Brewery) building (now home to Humanim) on the Maryland Historical Trust site.

The building today via Google Maps Street View:


View Larger Map