Md. Historical Society Photographs

About

The photograph collection at the Maryland Historical Society spans circa 1848 through present day and contains well over one million items. Daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, cartes-de-visite, albumen prints, salted paper prints, acetate negatives, and other historic formats are prevalent. Photographs are part of MdHS's Special Collections Department, H. Furlong Baldwin Library. MdHS is located in Baltimore, Maryland. For more information, see the About page.

Digital reproductions of originals are property of MdHS. For image reproduction and permission info: MdHS Imaging Services.

Feel free to share these images with proper citation.

jferretti@mdhs.org

Curated by Jennifer A. Ferretti (former Curator of Photographs, MdHS). All views are my own and do not reflect those of the institution.

@CityThatReads

Est. 2011. Please #CiteYourSources!

Named Best Tumblr Feed in Baltimore Magazine 2011!

Rated #5 in Baltimore City Paper's The Year in Intertubes (2011)!

Druid Hill ParkBaltimore, Maryland1910Unidentified photographerSubject Vertical File (Baltimore - Parks & Squares)Maryland Historical Society[SVF]

Druid Hill Park
Baltimore, Maryland
1910
Unidentified photographer
Subject Vertical File (Baltimore - Parks & Squares)
Maryland Historical Society
[SVF]

September 24, 2013 at 2:40pm

43 notes
Calvert Hall CollegeCathedral Street and Mulberry Street, Baltimore, Maryland1925Unidentified photographerSubject Vertical FileMaryland Historical Society[SVF]
Calvert Hall College was established in 1845 by the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools as a private Catholic college preparatory high school for boys and is the oldest Christian Brothers schools in the country. After outgrowing their first location on Saratoga Street in Baltimore, the school opened at this location in 1891. The school moved to Towson, Maryland in 1960.
Google Maps Street View of the area today:  
View Larger Map

Calvert Hall College
Cathedral Street and Mulberry Street, Baltimore, Maryland
1925
Unidentified photographer
Subject Vertical File
Maryland Historical Society
[SVF]

Calvert Hall College was established in 1845 by the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools as a private Catholic college preparatory high school for boys and is the oldest Christian Brothers schools in the country. After outgrowing their first location on Saratoga Street in Baltimore, the school opened at this location in 1891. The school moved to Towson, Maryland in 1960.

Google Maps Street View of the area today:  


View Larger Map

September 23, 2013 at 6:30pm

44 notes

Annapolis City Dock
Annapolis, Maryland
April 1949
A. Aubrey Bodine (1906-1970)
Bodine Collection
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
B1028

Full image and detail. Click to enlarge. 

September 20, 2013 at 4:10pm

38 notes
Lee HouseCharles Street and Preston Street, Baltimore, MarylandNot datedUnidentified photographerJohn Appleton Wilson CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyPP3.85
Google Maps Street View of area today: 
View Larger Map

Lee House
Charles Street and Preston Street, Baltimore, Maryland
Not dated
Unidentified photographer
John Appleton Wilson Collection
Maryland Historical Society
PP3.85

Google Maps Street View of area today: 


View Larger Map

September 19, 2013 at 6:54pm

60 notes
Federal Hill Observatory TowerFederal Hill, Baltimore, Maryland1900Unidentified photographer5 x 7 inch glass negativeBaltimore City Life Museum CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyMC2361

Federal Hill Observatory Tower
Federal Hill, Baltimore, Maryland
1900
Unidentified photographer
5 x 7 inch glass negative
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC2361

September 17, 2013 at 3:59pm

48 notes

Continental Can Company [exterior, interior, and detail]
Boston Street, Baltimore, Maryland
October 26, 1945
Hughes Company
8 x 10 inch film negative
Hughes Studio Photograph Collection
Maryland Historical Society
PP30 968.45 



September 16, 2013 at 5:16pm

73 notes
Ship launchingMarylandOctober 1960Robert F. Kniesche4 x 5 inch negativeRobert Kniesche Photograph CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyPP79.266

Ship launching
Maryland
October 1960
Robert F. Kniesche
4 x 5 inch negative
Robert Kniesche Photograph Collection
Maryland Historical Society
PP79.266

September 12, 2013 at 12:57pm

42 notes

Street scene 
Charles Street and Clay Street, Baltimore, Maryland
1934
Unidentified photographer
8 x 10 inch acetate negative
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC6412

Google Maps Street View of area today:


View Larger Map

September 11, 2013 at 5:20pm

33 notes
Horse-drawn sulkies, buckboards, trotters, and pacers [series][Possible Druid Hill Park, Baltimore, Maryland]ca. 1913John Dubas (fl. 1904-1973)5 x 7 inch glass negativeArthur U. Hooper Memorial CollectionBaltimore City Life Museum CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyMC9516 .9

Horse-drawn sulkies, buckboards, trotters, and pacers [series]
[Possible Druid Hill Park, Baltimore, Maryland]
ca. 1913
John Dubas (fl. 1904-1973)
5 x 7 inch glass negative
Arthur U. Hooper Memorial Collection
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC9516 .9

September 10, 2013 at 3:25pm

25 notes
Gaddess Brothers21 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland1884Unidentified photographer5.5 x 7.5 inch printGaddess CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyPP68.1
The Gaddess Brothers Steam Marble Works was a stone working operation specializing in cemetery work, producing marble and granite statuary, monuments, tablets, and vases. In 1884 the proprietors were brother Charles W. (d. 1897), Thomas S., and Virginius Gaddess. The brothers took over the business in 1864 from their father, Alexander Gaddess Jr. (1799-1873), who learned the stone working craft in apprenticeship to Thomas Towson of New Church Street, circa 1817. 
Google Maps Street View of area today: 
View Larger Map

Gaddess Brothers
21 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland
1884
Unidentified photographer
5.5 x 7.5 inch print
Gaddess Collection
Maryland Historical Society
PP68.1

The Gaddess Brothers Steam Marble Works was a stone working operation specializing in cemetery work, producing marble and granite statuary, monuments, tablets, and vases. In 1884 the proprietors were brother Charles W. (d. 1897), Thomas S., and Virginius Gaddess. The brothers took over the business in 1864 from their father, Alexander Gaddess Jr. (1799-1873), who learned the stone working craft in apprenticeship to Thomas Towson of New Church Street, circa 1817. 

Google Maps Street View of area today: 


View Larger Map

September 9, 2013 at 2:19pm

42 notes

[Elevated view of Baltimore]
Looking northwest from Charles Street, near Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Maryland
Not dated [ca. 1910]
Unidentified photographer
8 x 10 inch glass negative
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) Collection
Baltimore City Life Museum Collection
Maryland Historical Society
MC4719 

Full image and detail. 

View from the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad building of what is now the Charles Center area. 

September 6, 2013 at 4:18pm

44 notes

Workers installing electrical wires underground
Howard Street, Baltimore, Maryland
1901
Unidentified photographer [Possibly by J.E. Henry]
Subject Vertical File (Baltimore - Wires)
Maryland Historical Society
[SVF]

Full image, detail, and verso.

September 5, 2013 at 4:19pm

6 notes

theussenterprise said: Hi! I'm a Baltimore Ravens fanpage looking to spread the Bmore love around, would it be possible if you would allow me to add you on to this Baltimore tumblr link page?: ravensfootball(.)tumblr(.)com/additional

It would be most appreciated to be on the Baltimore list of social media on your Tumblr! Thanks for asking. 

2:57pm

31 notes
Street scene3800 block Liberty Heights (at Ayrdale Avenue), Baltimore, Marylandca. 1931Robert F. Kniesche (1906-1976)4 x 5 inch acetate negativeKniesche Photograph CollectionMaryland Historical SocietyPP79.356.1
Shows S.S. Kresge Co., Duane Bakers, Martha Washington Candies, Ford car dealership, Baltimore Salvage Hardware store, Drake’s Seafood Restaurant, C&L Delicatessen Restaurant, streetcar number 6072. 
Google Maps Street View of area today: 
View Larger Map

Street scene
3800 block Liberty Heights (at Ayrdale Avenue), Baltimore, Maryland
ca. 1931
Robert F. Kniesche (1906-1976)
4 x 5 inch acetate negative
Kniesche Photograph Collection
Maryland Historical Society
PP79.356.1

Shows S.S. Kresge Co., Duane Bakers, Martha Washington Candies, Ford car dealership, Baltimore Salvage Hardware store, Drake’s Seafood Restaurant, C&L Delicatessen Restaurant, streetcar number 6072. 

Google Maps Street View of area today: 


View Larger Map

September 4, 2013 at 4:08pm

65 notes

Interior, Hippodrome Theatre
12 North Eutaw Street, Baltimore, Maryland
1918
Hughes Company
8 x 10 inch glass negative
Hughes Company Collection
Maryland Historical Society
Z9.389.PP8

Google Maps Street View of exterior of the Hippodrome: 


View Larger Map