The Belvedere Hotel
1 East Chase Street, Baltimore (seen from rear)
Henry Rinn Collection
Maryland Historical Society
The Belvedere Hotel made its formal debut in 1903. The hotel (turned condos, office space, and bars/restaurants) takes its name from the estate of John Eager Howard, named Belvidere. The estate was broken up for an extension of Calvert Street in 1870 and a parcel of that land was purchased by the partnership Perin, Harvey, and Brown. The partners went to architectural firm Parker and Thomas of Baltimore and Boston and for construction, they went to W. W. and E. A. Wells of Chicago. Parker and Thomas had designed Johns Hopkins University’s Homewood campus about 30 years earlier.