Eastern Avenue Looking West from the East Side of 15th Street Showing Progress of Work
September 17, 1915
Baltimore Sewerage and State Roads Commission Collection,
Maryland Historical Society
In 1906, the state of Maryland prohibited Baltimore from discharging sewage into the Chesapeake Bay or any of its tributaries, and provided $10,000,000 for a sewerage system, with a matching amount for the project coming from the city on a bond issue. Under Mayor Edwin Clay Timanus, the city began construction of the sewer system, and the project was continued by Mayors J. Barry Mahool and James Harry Preston. At the same time, development of Baltimore’s infrastructure of streets and railroads continued with the creation of the Paving Commission in 1911.