Tusculum, home of the Delphian Club
Northeast of Calvert Street and Baltimore Street (Bank Lane), Baltimore, Maryland
Subject Vertical File (Baltimore - Houses)
Maryland Historical Society
William Gwynn, newspaper owner and editor, had this mansion built behind Baltimore Street businesses, along what was then Bank Lane, around 1820. The building was designed by architect Robert Carey Long. Gwynn called his home Tusculum and opened it as a meeting place to his literary club for men, the Delphian Club. This photograph was taken not long before the building was razed to make room for the Equitable Trust Company building on Calvert Street.
Google Maps Street View of the area where the Equitable Trust Company Building stands:
Jones, C. (1991, Feb 10). Remembering Literary Lane. The Baltimore Sun.
Shivers, F.R. et al. (2004). The Architecture of Baltimore: An Illustrated History. Johns Hopkins University Press.